Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Our Very Own Cherry Blossoms

I am so in love with the new weeping cherry tree in our front yard. It is in full bloom right now--just a few days ahead of the peak bloom for the cherry trees down on the Mall.

Abel put in this flower bed last summer and built a lovely little half circle stone wall in front (sorry I couldn't seem to get everything in with my the camera on my phone!). I dreamed of putting in a crape myrtle but when I went out to our local nursery to just look around, I fell madly in love with the shape of the weeping cherry trees. Not to mention, the day I happened to stop by was the last day of a big sale: all the flowering trees were 50% off! I was almost late to pick Lucas up from nursery school so bought it on the spot (with very little deliberation and no input from Abel--so unlike me!). Since I was also several months pregnant and had our little car, Abel picked it up a few days later.

We planted it fairly late last fall and then when it got covered by so many feet of snow this winter, I was sure it was going to be a goner. But, I'd say the little tree has done quite well! The cherry blossoms are one of my favorite things about DC and now we have our own little tree to enjoy each spring. Yay!


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. So pretty. I know nothing about trees and plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm so jealous - what a great decision to get that tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful.. can't imagine how pretty it will be in a few more years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree is gorgeous! We have a weeping cherry tree too and I also thought it would be a goner and spent lots of time gazing at it through the window hoping it would survive the snow. I meant to get a pic of it yesterday but today most of the blossoms are gone and replaced with little leaves. Glad you got a picture of yours! It's so pretty! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it.My stepdaughter gave me one and we planted in Memory of my late husband on April 12,2014.I have done the same thing with petrified wood my husband John has has for years.I cant wait for it to bloom again.Thanks for sharing. Robin Hebron Md

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!