Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Getting Counted

Am I a total dork (okay, don't answer that!) for being super-excited about filling out the census form this year? Because I am. Super-excited. I honestly can't remember if I filled one out in the year 2000. At the time I was living in a group house on Capitol Hill, having just graduated from college. What a motley crew we were in that house. (Other than that awesome guy who rented a room on the 3rd floor, that is!) (That would be Abel for anyone new here!)

And now, just ten short years later, Abel and I have a wonderful home in an awesome community and two incredible kids. I just can't wait to fill out the form and have all that be counted! Plus, I know how important it is for our community that everyone mails back their forms.

Back in college I went down to the National Archives and did some research for one of my mom's cousins who was working on the genealogy of our family. It was so cool to look at the microfiche (remember that stuff?!) and see the signatures of my relatives in the census books. Can you imagine if the census was still conducted like that? (Future generations will probably be amazed that we filled it out with pen and paper!)

Yesterday we received a letter letting us know that the 2010 Census will arrive in about a week. Watch for yours and make sure to fill it out and mail it back. I'm pretty sure I'll be mailing mine back the very next day!

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you've made me smile here, because I TOO am so looking forward to getting our form in the mail!! :) One of my closest friends also works at the Census Bureau, so I've often made jokes about her job "counting people." I hear ya about hoping others in my community fill it out, too. We all could use all the representation and help we can get. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!